Creating Public Server for LAN Party – Setting up Private WoW Server

Please check the new version on how to create wow private server for better version. Besides the new guide list everything in a single page for easier reading

This is the third part of the Creating your own World of Warcraft Server using Mangos

1. The First part is all about Installing and Configuring MySQL on your Windows Machine
  2. The Second part is about Configuring the WoW Mangos itself
  3. The Third part is all about Setting up Private WOW Server for Lan Party
  4. The Fourth part is all about Installing and Setting up Apache Webserver with PHP

Okay … after taking a break for few days now i’m going to continue with the complete mangos configuration guide. And in this topic i’m going to tell you how to create public server … erm … i mean private server for lan party purpose (if you intend to create public server using mangos, that means you’re violating the mangos license agreement)

and to make thing shorter … let’s start the guide ;)

Requirements :

1. Working Mangos installation (really important)
  2. Knowledge on how to set up port forwarding from your router and your firewall software if installed, because each router have different configuration page (required if you’re going to host WoW Server behind router)

Note :

• In this example the wow server process is located at virtual machine using 192.168.3.3 as the LAN IP Address
  • Im connecting from another virtual machine to that ip address
  • Mangos and realmd process must not be started first
  • This process can be used for both WoW Mangos TBC Server or Classic Server

Here’s the summary of the process on how you’re going to do it :

1. Change the realmd.realmlist (realmlist table in realmd database) into your lan ip address or public ip address
  2. Set the realmlist.wtf to use that lan ip address
  3. Optional : If you’re going to host your wow server behind the router then you’ll need to set up port forwarding for port 8085 (World Server) and 3724 (Realmd). But if you have firewall software installed on your computer then you’d need to configure your firewall to allow connection to that port

Setting up WoW Server for LAN / Local Area Network :

First of all you need to know what is your lan ip address, especially if you’re using DHCP to automatically assign your ip address, and to do this first you need to open the command prompt window

Start Menu => Run => Type CMD

then type ipconfig like example below :

Your lan ip address

From the above image you can see that the ip address used was 192.168.3.3 so you’ll need to set up your realmlist to use that ip address so here’s how to use it :

1. Open command prompt window or you can also use the same command prompt window from before
  2. type below command (image) :

Adjust it to your lan ip address

Note : Don’t forget to adjust the 192.168.3.3 to use your lan ip address because i’m sure your lan ip address is different

And now we need to make sure that it is get properly written into the database so here’s how to check it

Checking IP Address for WOW LAN

After done with the above process, now you just need to set your realmlist.wtf file in your WoW Game Directory (for example, C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\realmlist.wtf) to use that ip address … and you’re done then the next step would be starting the mangos process and realmd process, and try connecting to your wow server from other computer in your network

Setting up for Internet / Accessible from anywhere :

Basically there are no actual differences between configuring wow to be accessible from LAN except :

1. You need to use your public ip address instead of your lan ip address (you can see your public ip by visiting whatismyip.com)
  2. You need to configure your router to forward port 3724 and 8085 (and no don’t forward the port used by MySQL, because previously someone port forward the mysql port too)
  3. If you use firewall, allow connection to your computer on port 3724 and 8085 too

Note : If you’re having problem on port forwarding / do not understand how port forwarding works, then i suggest you to visit this page

But what if you ran the realmd and mangos server on the same computer and you’re trying to connect to it (connect to the same computer where mangos and realmd process started) ? and yes i’m sure you want to play using this method if you only have 1 computer in your home like me

Then you need to follow this step :

• Look at your public ip from whatismyip.com and make a note of your public ip address

Your public IP Address

• Sign up with Dynamic DNS service such as No-Ip.com , Dyndns.com or sitelutions.com and set up your desired dns name to your public ip address
  • Use the newly created DNS name as the address for realmd.realmlist instead of your public ip address (using the same sql command on example above)
  • Look at your lan ip address using the above example
  • Open C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts using notepad or your favorite text editor
  • add new lines using below format at the bottom of the hosts file

your-lan-ip-address     your-newly-created-dns-name

• save it
  • adjust the realmlist.wtf to use your newly created dns name
  • set up port forwarding
  • and you’re done :)

Please note, only invite trusted people to your wow server (for example your friends only) and do not attempt to create real public server unless you really know what you’re doing ;)

Well … that’s all about it … and at this time you should be able to get your friends to play on your server … unfortunately you still need to add your friends account manually which is not good for LAN Party Server

So for the next part i’m going to tell you how to set up webserver with php on your computer so your friends can register account easily ;)

Comments

1. vahid Feb 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

2. maska Apr 22, 2011 at 5:54 AM

when i type in mysql -u root -p it says “mysql is not an internal or external command,operal program or batch file”….why?

3. Mr. glad ^^ Sep 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Really thanks a lot for this guide, it really helped me a lot. With some more trial and error I finally got my server to be accesible from internet. Again thanks for this awesome guide.

Regards,

4. forget xbox repair centers Aug 6, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Most people don’t realise until it’s too late that 7 out of 10 Xboxes develop serious faults including the 3 light ‘red ring of death’, E74, freezing and much more. We offer a 1 hour fix alternative as opposed to a 6 – 12 week wait if you use a reair center

5. Teo Mar 28, 2009 at 6:15 AM

set realmlist logon.wowgraid.net

6. Greg Feb 21, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I know this post is old, but I have spent the better part of a work day trying to figure out the nature of the realm loop… Your solution worked like a charm! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

7. Jake you are gay Feb 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM

as the message says, you are gay. go away and do us all a favor by earning a darwin award. Kind Regards.

8. Chrit Nov 2, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Hello,

Thank you SO MUCH for creating these guides, they have helped me immensely.

I have come across a problem that refuses to go away. I’m trying to make my private server public and I continually reach failure.

My DNS address is thenunsofvoarcraft.dyndns.tv
    I have edited the realmlist table in the realmd database to reflect this.
    I have edited the hosts file to say the following:
    192.168.1.205 thenunsofvoarcraft.dyndns.tv
    I have ports 3724 and 8085 forwarded on my router.
    My realmlist.wtf file reads “set realmlist thenunsofvoarcraft.dyndns.tv”

And no matter what I do, I get the same error message: “Unable to connect to realm list server”.

I have tried changing IP addresses in the Hosts file. I have tried putting my router in DMZ. Nothing has worked. I have reviewed these guides, among other guides, time and time again and I’m continually met with failure.

What exactly am I doing wrong?

9. WoWlover Oct 27, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Omg i am at my wits end with this i am trying to set up a LAN server using my IP address i have used what you have said to do and have tried to log on to WoW on another CPU on the network it says cannot Validate game version plz check the sit blah blah blah once the realm is up and running how do i get into that through WoW??

• nathyn May 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM

i was having problems with that so i found the text in the world.conf file and changed the section for suported versions to “99999” so that way i will work with updates

10. RolanDecoy Oct 26, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Hey, just browsing thrue the comments, and found that there are a lot of questions regarding the use of the MySQL CLI.

When using it, note the following:

Every statement MUST be closed with a ‘;’ or else it’ll just start a new line for the same statement.

You don’t have to enclose a table or fieldname within the database with a ‘. You should, however, use it when entering strings, or words / phrases as variable to store.

Also, regarding the connectivity problems, read up on the basic principles of network addressing and possibly even WINS or DNS. This should resolve a lot of problems.

Personally I make full use of the DNS server in my router because it enables me to tinker with the LAN with LAN-Parties and testing computers. I use the NetBIOS name of my server computer instead of an IP address. This means I can plug the server in a different routerport without the hassle of reconfiguring Mangos or the router.

Hope that helped

11. Spirit Sep 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM

I know problem is in hosts – 127.0.0.1 myservername.ath.cx, but if I change it(127.0.0.1) to my IP, I can’t connect.. And other ppl too… Whats the problem may be? I allready learned from a-z that portforward.com, but he says I gonna choose my router’s model, but I don’t have it… 2 weeks lookin in anykinds of mangos guides and still nothing, cuz everywhere “router, router, router”…

• nathyn May 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

dont change the 127.0.0.1 add a new line with the exturnal ip address and dns server name to your host list

12. Spirit Sep 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM

… Dunno what going on. In first, I downloaded Mangos repack, MySQL, Navicat… Created everything what I need in Dyndns.com, typed in hosts (!) 127.0.0.1 myservername.ath.cx (why 127.0.0.1 instead of my lan ip? cuz otherwise I can’t connect in all). typed in CMD everything what is needed (UPDATE `realmlist` ….. to my lan IP), typed my dynds name in realmd.realmlist(tryed instead of that with my lan ip), opened ports in Firewall, typed address in realmlist.wtf, SO I can connect, everything is REALY fine, exept that, like no1 can connect to me. Letts get back to Hosts… If I type my lan IP instead of 127.0.0.1 I get “Unnable to connect”. Still, no1 can connect to me. Portforwarding? Answer – I’m using LAN/Local Area Connection and when type my IP into i-net browser, nothing going to happen… COULD YOU PLEASE help me, answering step by step what to do? Cuz I’m not verry well in those things… btw, sry for my english, I’m far away from your country :) Thank You Very Much!

13. Aekom Sep 18, 2008 at 9:25 PM

@ryno

what type of router are you using atm?

14. Ryno Sep 17, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Hey Guys, I have a good knowledge of port forwarding and such, even when I tried to do a port range on a D’link router (which doesnt have the option to port range)

But my problem is, I can connect to my server perfectly

People outside my network can connect to my server perfectly

People OTHER than me INSIDE my network, like my brother, cannot connect to my “No-Ip or Dyndns” address, but when I put my internal IP inside the realmlist.wtf file on my brothers computer, It gets as far as connecting to realm, then it just basically timesout on “Connecting”

I need some help to make sure my brother can connect to my server too.

Thanks

15. geoff Sep 3, 2008 at 5:03 AM

are you talking via Xover cable?

16. imxu Aug 15, 2008 at 11:05 PM

lol, just figured it out a sec after posting here
    anyways here’s the solution to those who get stuck on that one — you must use the ‘ marks and not the ` marks around the ip address…

17. imxu Aug 15, 2008 at 11:00 PM

i’m getting the ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unkown column ‘192.168.1.100’ in the ‘field list’ when entering:
    update `realmlist` set `address` = `192.168.1.100` where `id` =1;
    haven’t seen the solution here yet.. so any help?

18. Namak Aug 2, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Okay now ive corrected it but it says it cant validate game version. how do i work around that?

19. PLZ read this Jul 31, 2008 at 11:17 AM

It works fine till I try to change the IP I ger
    ERROE 1064 : you have an error in your sql syntax; cheack the manual that corresponds to your mysql server version for the right syntax to use.
    I’m useing the most up to date versions/ OS=Windows

20. orhjyx hduc Jul 26, 2008 at 5:57 PM

upitqh zvie jreicokd wdvh tyig vsbkmio ojmzgn

21. MrPersonalities Jul 7, 2008 at 6:37 AM

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! 3 dayz in to this……mind….going…..slowly but surely……becoming insane!!!!! I have followed every step….5…6…7…hell probably 10 times a day…… I can log on with ease! but my lil bro in the other room on the same network gets stuck at..connecting..WE CAN’T FIGURE OUT WHY!!!! someone please help before i throw my computer in the POOL!

• Scott Jul 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Same problem here, i think all my ports are forwarded to the server so they bypass my other pc

Comments Navigation 1192021

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [Mangos] Lan realmlist loop pls help
  2. How to set up public WoW Server » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  3. Reaper Mangos 4875 - Easy WoW Private Server for WoW 2.3.0 » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  4. Reaper Mangos Mod 4651, Scriptdev2 151 AHBot with JailPatch and Unified Database » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  5. Reaper Mangos Mod 4703 - Easy Custom WoW Mangos Private Server » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  6. Reaper Mangos 4703 - Easy WoW Mangos Private Server » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  7. Mangos 4629, ScriptDev2 150 with Silvermoon 18.5 and UDB 0.8 323 support 2.2.3 » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  8. Mangos 4602, ScriptDev2 145 with Unified Database 0.7.5 CS319 work with WoW 2.1.3 to 2.2.3 » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  9. Mangos 4577, ScriptDev2 140 with PSDB and UDB work with WoW 2.1.3 to 2.2.3 » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  10. Mangos 4535 ScriptDev2 137 work with WoW 2.1.3, 2.2, and 2.2.2 » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  11. Creating WoW Private Server the easier way (perhaps) » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  12. WoW Mangos 4524 modified to work with WoW 2.1.3 and 2.2 » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  13. How to Configure MaNGOS the World of Warcraft Emulator » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.
  14. Configuring Mangos for TBC Server or WoW Classic Server - Setting up Private WoW Server » Reaper-X .:[ ID ]:.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: